Chemotherapy stinks. There really is no other way around it. If you have a loved one suffering from cancer who is receiving chemo, you know the toll it can take on, not only the patient but everyone who knows them. It's important that when you have a friend, or loved one, going through cancer that you support them with tons of love. A great way to show them that you care is a chemo care package. Simply gift them a package with items they love or items they may need to get through chemo. Not sure what to put in one? Here are 20 ideas we got from out friends at Magnolia Lane for items you might want to include in your chemo care package:
1. Warm socks, scarves, or throw blankets—anemia can make you cold.
2. Hard candy—to help combat nausea. Peppermint, ginger, root beer, and lemon/citrus flavors are supposed to work the best.
3. Soft and stylish hats, caps, or scarves—for chilly and sensitive heads.
4. Wet wipes and hand sanitizer—chemo can knock out your immune system and make you more easily susceptible to infection, so these are important to have.
5. Tea—it’s comforting and can help with nausea.
6. Lip balm—chemo can dry everything out, so this helps to have.
7. Pretty note cards/stamps/pens—in case they feel like writing notes to friends and family while they’re there.
8. Sudoku or puzzle books—to help pass the time.
9. A blank notebook or journal—to record their thoughts, or write down any questions they might have for their doctor.
10. iTunes or Amazon gift cards—so they can buy audiobooks, ebooks, music, or other entertainment to help pass the time.
11. People Magazine—you may choose a different magazine based on the person you know, but it’s always good to have some light, trashy entertainment in hand!
12. DVD’s or a Netflix subscription—since they’ll be spending lots of time on the couch. This is perfect for people which young children as well.
13. Meals, meals, meals—because the last thing they’ll want to do while going through chemotherapy is to cook a bunch of meals.
14. Lawn care—so they don’t have to worry about keeping up with yard maintenance.
15. Child care—it’s incredibly hard going through chemo, but it’s even more difficult when you have little ones at home that require your care. Offering to watch the kids can be one of the biggest gifts you give your loved one.
16.Housecleaning—Pay for cleaning service for your loved one, or offer to clean their house yourself.
17. Gas cards—because all the driving back and forth for treatments adds up.
18. Lotion—for dry skin. Try to stick with unscented brands, since strong smell can irritate chemo patients.
19. PJ’s or comfortable loungewear—stick with button-down options rather than pullovers, it’s a little easier for patients to deal with.
20. Restaurant giftcards—if you’re not a great cook, give your loved one a restaurant gift card instead.
Anyone going through chemo will love all these gifts and know that they came from the heart. Cancer is tough but with support from loved ones, patients can get through it. One of the best ways to detect cancer? Medical imaging tools. Make an appointment with us at Advanced Imaging Centers for all your medical imaging needs.