https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KB79FVYy5Y&w=560&h=315 A recent study on strokes show that more strokes occur during the winter months and that the public’s knowledge of strokes is low.  The physicians of this study are urging people to educate themselves on the first signs and symptoms of strokes and what steps you can take when someone may be suffering a stroke.

Being the fourth-leading cause of death in the U.S. and is the number one cause of adult disability, this is a topic that everyone should know more about.  More than 800,000 people suffer from a stroke each year, which is one person every 40 seconds.

First thing is first, what is a stroke?

  • Essentially, a stroke is an attack on the brain, caused when the blood flow is interrupted.  There are two kinds of strokes: ischemic stroke and a hemorrhagic stroke.  85% of strokes are ischemic, which is when the blood supply is blocked by blood clots or plaque build-up.  Which means about 15% of stokes are hemorrhagic, which is when a blood vessel bursts.  Brain cells begin to die in both cases, where permanent damage could result.

Who gets strokes?

  • Strokes can occur at any age; however, 75% of strokes attack people over 65.  Females account for 60% of the deaths from stroke, and males account for the other 40% of deaths.  The risk of stroke caries among race and ethnicity, with African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans being more susceptible than whites.

What are the risks of stroke?

  • High Blood Pressure
  • Smoking
  • High Cholesterol (LDL)

There are many other risks which you can read at stroke.org.

What are the signs of a stroke?

  • Sudden onset of weakness/numbness (especially on one side)
  • Trouble speaking or understanding
  • Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
  • Difficulty walking
  • Severe headache

 What should people do if they think someone is having a stroke?

Act F-A-S-T.

F= Face.  Ask the person to smile to see if one side of the face droops.

A= Arms.  Ask them to raise their arms and watch downward movement.

S= Speech.  Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence. Listen for slurring.

T= Time.  CALL 911 immediately!

 Where can I learn more?

With just a little bit of knowledge you can save a life, you may even save your own life! Go read the whole article at healthcarenews.com.